Topped with caramelized onions, these paleo Cajun burgers are sure to become a quick favorite in your house.
You’ll love the depth of flavor in these burgers. And if you have non-paleo family members (like I do) then they can simply put theirs on a bun.
I have a recipe here on A Good Life Farm that is extremely popular – How to Pan Fry Bratwurst.
There’s a lot of people out there who like to enjoy bratwurst or hot dogs, but don’t have the ability to grill them outside. Maybe the live in an urban area and can’t grill. Maybe they have an HOA that frowns upon it. (Oh how sad!) Or maybe they simply do not own a grill or can’t afford one.
That bratwurst recipe is always one of my top viewed posts, nearly every day.
Well, these burgers are similar in that they are not grilled. Want to know how to pan fry a burger? Well, this recipe will show you exactly how.
Like my bratwurst recipe, you’ll need no charcoal or gas grill to prepare them.
Now if you happen to own an indoor, electric grill, you could happily grill these with that as an alternative to pan frying.
Whatever floats your boat!
However you choose to prepare your burgers, you will LOVE the flavor of these ones. And the caramelized onions on top?
Oh lordy, they are Ah-Mazing!
Paleo Cajun Burgers
- 1 large sweet onion
- 1 Tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, or other preferred cooking oil
- 2 lb ground beef
- 1 egg, whisked
- 1 1/2 Tablespoon Cajun seasoning, see note below
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, or to taste
- To begin, cut off the onion ends and remove the skin. Cut the onion in half, top to bottom. Cut the halves into slices lengthwise (top to bottom again) as opposed to across the rings. When you slow cook onions, cutting them this way keeps them from completely turning into mush.
- In a large skillet, heat the coconut oil and extra virgin olive oil together over medium heat.
- Add in the onion slices and cook them slowly for 30 minutes. Be patient!!! This is how you make perfect caramelized onions. Trust me.
- Cook the onions until the are golden brown. If you wish for them to get crispy, let them cook a little longer, but watch them carefully. They can go quickly from caramelized to scorched.
- Once the onions are caramelized, transfer them to a dish and set them aside for now.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the ground beef, whisked egg, Cajun seasoning and salt & pepper. Mix them until the are just combined.
- Form the mixture into 6 patties with an indentation in the center. Burgers swell in the center as they cook and this lets you have burger patties instead of burger balls.
- In the same skillet that you cooked the onions in, cook the burgers over medium high heat.
- Cook them for about 5 minutes on each side or until they are cooked through.
- Allow them to rest 3-5 minutes and then serve them topped with the caramelized onions.
Nutritional information is auto-generated and the accuracy is not guaranteed.
Need a Cajun Seasoning Recipe? Get Mine Here
This recipe was shared in Meal Plan Monday.