Pickled red onions are a great condiment that is super easy to make and can be used in so many ways. Learn how to make them and be inspired.
I add several new posts every week – Sign Up for the Free Newsletter and Never Miss a Thing!
To Make this Pickled Red Onion Recipe You Will Need:
- red onion
- coconut sugar
- apple cider vinegar
- quart jar with lid
- knife and cutting board
You will thinly slice the onion, but if you like, you could also dice it to make a pickled onion relish.
Place the sliced onion in a wide-mouth jar.
Pour in your simple brine and let it cool to room temperature. Close the jar and refrigerate.
Let it sit for a day before you use the onions. As they chill, the red color from the onion will spread and the entire thing will become a lovely pink color.
How to Use Pickled Onions
Pickled onions can be used in salads, potato salad, it is great with eggs – scrambled, fried or omelets.
Try them on top of a burger or roast. They are also amazing with tacos of diced up and mixed into guacamole.
Put pickled onions on some pulled pork or barbecue.
Really, the only limits to how you can use pickled onions, is your imagination.
Did You Make This Recipe? I would love for you to rate it in the recipe card, and I’d love to hear your thoughts!
How to Make Pickled Red Onions
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced (or diced if you would like to make a relish)
- 1 c apple cider vinegar, I use Bragg’s
- 1 c water
- 2 tsp coconut sugar
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp whole black peppercorns
- Place your sliced (or diced) onion in a quart canning jar.
- Combine all of the rest of the ingredients in a sauce pan to create a brine, and bring it to a boil over medium heat. Once it boils, removed it from the heat.
- Pour the brine into the jar with the onions. Use a spoon or other utensil to press the onions down into the liquid. Allow this to cool to room temperature.
- Close the jar and refrigerate 24 hours.
Nutritional information is auto-generated and the accuracy is not guaranteed.