A galette is a very simple type of pie. So simple, in fact, that you don’t even need a pie plate to make it in. You simply form the dough around the filling and bake it on a sheet. It is simple, and delicious.
Prepare the dough for a single pie crust. You can use whatever recipe you like best.
Here’s how I make mine:
1c + 2 Tb Flour
1 stick cold, unsalted butter
1/2 tsp salt
about 3-5 teaspoons ice water
I pulse the flour and salt together in a food processor, just to combine. Then cut the cold butter into cubes. Add to the flour and pulse in the processor until the bits are smaller than peas. Then turn on the processor, and slowly pour the water into it. As it mixes, the dough will start to stick together. Done.
I love my food processor.
Whatever recipe you use, form the dough into a disk, wrap it in plastic wrap, and stick it in the fridge. Let it chill while you prepare the filling.
Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
In a small bowl, stir together 1/4 c Brown Sugar, 1/4 c regular Sugar, 1/8 tsp Salt, 1 Tb flour and 1/4 tsp Cinnamon.
Zest about 2/3 of a lemon.
Then squeeze 1 Tb juice into a dish.
Core and slice 2 apples. There is no need to peel them. I like apple peel, and think it adds to the “rustic-ness” of this recipe. (Not to mention it has nutritional value.)
Put the apple slices in a bowl, add the lemon juice and give it a stir.
Add the dry mixture and the lemon zest to the bowl, and give it another stir to coat the apples.
Set it aside for a moment, and roll out your pie crust.
This is the way I roll pie crusts….I think it is the easiest way ever!
Lay out 2 sheets of plastic wrap on your table/counter, slightly overlapping the edges. Sprinkle a little flour in the middle. Lay your dough disk in the middle, sprinkle with a little more flour. Then add 2 more sheets of overlapping plastic wrap.
Start rolling. The crust rolls out nicely, and doesn’t stick. Just make sure the plastic wrap layers don’t stick to each other, or the dough won’t move. If it starts to, just give it a lift to separate, and keep going.
When you have it the size & thickness you want, remove the top layer of the plastic wrap. The bottom layer helps support the dough, so you can turn it into a pie plate or onto the surface you need without it tearing or falling apart.
In this case, turn it out onto a bar pan or cookie sheet with an edge, lined with parchment paper. Discard the plastic wrap.
Pile your apples in the center.
Simply begin folding the edges of the dough over the apples, gently pressing them into place.
Cut up 2 Tablespoons of cold butter into pieces, and dot them all over the apples.
Bake the galette for 35-45 minutes, or until golden and bubbly.
Allow it to rest and cool for 10 minutes or more before serving. The inside will ooze when you cut it, that’s normal.
Serve with ice cream or whipped cream.
- ¼ c Brown Sugar
- ¼ c regular Sugar
- ⅛ tsp Salt
- 1 Tb flour
- ¼ tsp Cinnamon
- Zest from about ⅔ of a lemon.
- 1 Tb juice from the lemon
- 2 Apples, cored & sliced – no need to peel.
- 2 Tb cold Butter, cut into cubes
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a small bowl, combine sugars, salt, flour & cinnamon. Set aside.
- Put the apple slices in a bowl, add the lemon juice and give it a stir. Add the dry mixture and stir to coat. Then add in the lemon zest, and another quick stir. Set aside.
- Roll out your pie crust. Lay rolled pie crust dough onto a bar pan or cookie sheet with an edge, lined with parchment paper. Pile your apples in the center. Simply begin folding the edges of the dough over the apples, gently pressing them into place. Dot the apples with the butter pieces.
- Bake the galette for 35-45 minutes, or until golden and bubbly. Allow it to rest and cool for 10 minutes or more before serving. The inside will ooze when you cut it, that’s normal. Serve with ice cream or whipped cream.
Head on over and check out all of the AMAZINGLY APPLEY dishes our Sunday Supper contributors are sharing in our virtual Apple Festival!
Soups, Salads, Starters and Breads
- Cinnamon Apple Chips- Shockingly Delicious
- Mini Apple Pumpkin Pancakes – The Daily Dish Recipes
- Overnight Apple Cinnamon French Toast- In the Kitchen with KP
- Curried Apple and Leek Soup-Soni’s Food for Thought
- Endive Spears Topped With Apple, Blue Cheese and Hazelnut Salad- The Hand That Rocks the Ladle
- Homemade Apple Jam – My Trials in the Kitchen
- Caramel Apple Bread – famfriendsfood
- Apple, Bacon & Brie Popovers- I Run for Wine
- Apple, Leek and Gruyere Tarts- There and Back Again
- Apple-Glazed Meatballs- The Messy Baker
- Apples & Buttons (Ham, Apples and Dumplings)- Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Chicken Apple Meatloaf with Tarragon Tomato Sauce – Diabetic Foodie
- Baked Tilapia Apple Crisp- Daddy Knows Less
- Pork Tenderloin with Calvados Cream Sauce Sustainable Dad
- #SundaySupper Pulled Pork Sandwich With Pickled Red Onions Kwistin’s Favorites
- Harvest Rice- Webicurean
- Wild Rice with Apples, Dried Cranberries, and Walnuts – Ruffles and Truffles
- Apple Topped Sweet Potato Mash- Momma’s Meals
- Warm Spice Pecan Raisin Apple Chutney- Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Double Apple Pot Pie- What Smells So Good?
- Apple Walnut Coffee Cake- The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Apple Streusel Cobbler- Big Bear’s Wife
- Apple & Moroccan Cinnamon Gooey Sticky Buns- Crispy Bits & Burnt Ends
- Apple Pear Kuchen for #SundaySupper (Apfel Birnen Kuchen)- Galactosemia in PDX
- Old Fashioned Apple Crisp with Caramel Sauce-Noshing with the Nolands
- Caramel Apple Crumble Bars- Hezzi D’s Books and Cooks
- Cinnamon Apple Dessert Chimichangas- Juanita’s Cocina
- Nutella Apple Quesadilla- Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts
- Apple Crisp Ice Cream- Cravings of a Lunatic
- Bavarian Apple Torte- The Lovely Pantry
- Streusel Apple Crumb Pie + Pie Freezer Kits- Meal Planning Magic
- French Apple Cobbler with Cinnamon-Maple Whipped Cream Weekend Gourmet
- Chunky Apple-Apricot Bread Pudding- Comfy Cuisine
- Apple Butter Spice Cake – Home Cooking Memories
- Apple Pie and Custard- Happy Baking Days
- Country Apple Dumplings- Mom’s Test Kitchen
- Apple-Gingersnap Cookies- Tora’s Real Food
- Apple and Cranberry Turnovers- Flour on my Face
- Applesauce Chocolate Chip Bundt Cake with Caramel Glaze- Hip Foodie Mom
- Caramel Frosted Apple Cookies- No One Likes Crumbley Cookies
- Apple and Pecans Cake- Basic N Delicious
- Apple Pull Apart Monkey Bread- Gotta Get Baked
- Apple Chia Tea- Pippi’s in the Kitchen Again