With tender potatoes and a thick gravy, Skillet Chicken Stew is such a comforting dish. But seeing as it only takes about half an hour to make, you can enjoy this any night of the week.
I add several new posts every week – Sign Up for the Free Newsletter and Never Miss a Thing!
To Make this Recipe You Will Need:
- all-purpose flour
- chicken breasts, boneless, skinless
- stalks celery
- russet potatoes
- chicken broth
- mixing bowl
- large cast iron skillet (or Dutch oven)
Watch Me Make This Recipe:
Like cooking soups as much as I do? Click Here to See ALL the Soup & Stew Recipes on Cosmopolitan Cornbread
Did you make and enjoy this recipe from Cosmopolitan Cornbread? Please rate it below and leave a comment to share your thoughts!
- ⅓ c all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 2 chicken breasts, boneless, skinless
- 3-4 Tb butter
- 1 onion
- 2 stalks celery
- 2 carrots
- 2 russet potatoes
- 2 c chicken broth
- 2 Tb ketchup
- 1 Tb cornstarch
- ½ tsp thyme
- To begin, in a small dish, stir together the flour, salt and pepper. Set that aside for a moment.
- Cut the chicken into 1 inch cubes and place them in a bowl. Add in the flour mixture and stir to coat the chicken well. Set that aside for now.
- In a large skillet, melt 3 of the tablespoons of butter over medium heat. When the butter is melted and bubbly, toss in your chicken. Spread it out in the butter and let it sit and brown for a couple minutes, then turn and brown the other side as well.
- Add additional butter if it begins to get dry and stick.
- Meanwhile, quarter and then thinly slice a the onion and thinly slice the celery. When your chicken is beautifully golden add in the celery and onion. Stir them in and let them cook about 3 or 4 minutes, getting a little color themselves.
- While those are doing their thing, cut the potatoes into about a ¾ inch dice and then peel and thinly slice the carrots.
- Add in the potatoes and carrots to the skillet, stir them around and let them cook for just a moment. In a bowl, you’re going to mix up the gravy. It may sound a little odd, but trust me.
- You’ll need the chicken broth, ketchup, cornstarch and thyme.
- Whisk those together until smooth.
- Pour the liquid into the skillet.
- Bring it to a gentle boil, cover, reduce the heat and simmer for 15 –20 minutes or until the vegetables are just done.
- Give it an occasional stir while it cooks.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 571Total Fat: 37gSaturated Fat: 23gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 145mgSodium: 1186mgCarbohydrates: 36gFiber: 4gSugar: 5gProtein: 24g
Nutritional Disclaimer: Nutritional data is provided as a courtesy and estimated by a service called Nutritionix. That is a web-based nutritional calculator and is not guaranteed to be accurate. If the nutritional information is vital to you please verify it using your favorite trusted source.
This recipe was originally published many years ago, but was updated in 2020.