There’s nothing like the aroma of piping hot of old-fashioned skillet cornbread, straight out of the oven.
Growing up in the Midwest, I had honestly never had cornbread. I don’t think I had even ever had hushpuppies. But shortly after leaving home, I had my first taste of it in basic training in the army. I was in love. To me, the flavor of cornbread immediately became synonymous with down-home, wholesome goodness. It’s for that very reason that I used the word cornbread in the name of my website.
Skillet cornbread is so simple and basic to make, our family enjoys it with many meals from soups to soup beans.
Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Place your 6 inch cast iron skillet in the oven to get nice and hot while you prepare the batter.
In a mixing bowl, combine 1 cup all-purpose flour, 1 cup cornmeal (white or yellow), 1/4 c sugar, 4 teaspoons baking powder and 3/4 teaspoon salt.
In a large measuring cup (or a bowl) combine 1 cup milk, 1/4 c extra virgin olive oil.
and then 2 eggs. Give those a whisking.
Add the liquid to the dry mixture
Stir with a fork or whisk until just combined.
Take your hot skillet out of the oven and spread a tablespoon of butter all over the inside of it. Pour & spread the the batter into the skillet.
Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- 1 c all-purpose flour
- 1 c corn meal (yellow or white)
- ¼ c sugar
- 4 tsp baking powder
- ¾ tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 c milk
- ¼ c extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tb butter
- To begin, preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Place your 6 inch skillet into the oven to heat while you prepare the batter.
- Stir together dry ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- In a separate dish, whisk the eggs, milk and oil together.
- Add the liquid to the dry ingredients and stir with a fork or whisk until just combined.
- Remove you hot skillet from the oven and spread a tablespoon of butter all inside the skillet. Pour in your batter and spread it fairly level.
- Bake 20-25 minutes, until golden brown, and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
If you do not have a small cast iron skillet, you can bake this in an 8 inch square baking pan. The cornbread will likely bake for a shorter period of time, so check it around 15-20 minutes.
The fear of the Lord is the instruction for wisdom, & before honor comes humility ~ Proverbs 15:33