This cornbread bakes in a cast iron skillet and is the best homemade cornbread you’ll ever make.
Growing up in the Midwest, I had honestly never had cornbread. I don’t think I had even ever had hushpuppies. But shortly after leaving home, I had my first taste of it in basic training in the army. I was in love.
To me, the flavor of cornbread immediately became synonymous with down-home, wholesome goodness.
Skillet cornbread is so simple and basic to make, our family enjoys it with many meals from soups to soup beans.
I add several new posts every week – Sign Up for the Free Newsletter and Never Miss a Thing!
There’s nothing like the aroma of piping hot of old-fashioned skillet cornbread, straight out of the oven.
To Make Skillet Cornbread you will need:
- all-purpose flour
- corn meal, yellow or white
- sugar or honey
- baking powder
- extra virgin olive oil
- unsalted butter
- mixing bowl
- measuring cups
- 8″ cast iron skillet
Watch me make this recipe in the video below:
To begin, preheat your oven to 375° (F). Place your 8 inch cast iron skillet in the oven to get nice and hot while you prepare the batter.
In a mixing bowl, combine all-purpose flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt.
You can substitute honey for the sugar if you like. If you do, you’ll add that with the liquid ingredients. See the note in the printable version of this recipe below.
In a large measuring cup (or a bowl) combine milk, extra virgin olive oil and eggs. Give those a whisking.
You May Also Like: Cheesy Quick Bread
Add the liquid to the dry mixture and stir with a fork or whisk until just combined.
Take your hot skillet out of the oven and spread a tablespoon of butter all over the inside of it. Pour & spread the the batter into the skillet.
Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
This cornbread is a thing of beauty. It is moist and ever so slightly sweet. Just enough to enhance the corn flavor of the cornmeal.
I will often have a slice of cornbread the next morning for breakfast. There’s really no wrong way to enjoy this cornbread.
You May Also Like: More Quick Bread Recipes
The fear of the Lord is the instruction for wisdom, & before honor comes humility ~ Proverbs 15:33
- 1 c all-purpose flour
- 1 c corn meal, yellow or white
- 1/4 c sugar, (or honey – see note below)
- 4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, I use Redmond Real Salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 c milk
- 1/4 c extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tb butter
- To begin, preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Place your 8 inch skillet into the oven to heat while you prepare the batter.
- Stir together dry ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- In a separate dish, whisk the eggs, milk and oil together.
- Add the liquid to the dry ingredients and stir with a fork or whisk until just combined.
- Remove you hot skillet from the oven and spread a tablespoon of butter all inside the skillet. Pour in your batter and spread it fairly level.
- Bake 20-25 minutes, until golden brown, and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- If you do not have a small cast iron skillet, you can bake this in an 8 inch square baking pan. The cornbread will likely bake for a shorter period of time, so check it around 15-20 minutes.
- You can substitute 2 Tb honey for the sugar. If you do that, add the honey with the liquid ingredients.
Nutritional information is auto-generated and the accuracy is not guaranteed.
This recipe was originally written in 2016, and updated in 2022.