Spinach, feta and roasted red peppers beautifully highlight the flavors of this grilled flank steak.
This gorgeous rolled flank steak looks incredibly impressive, but is quite simple to prepare. It is easy enough for any occasion, but pretty enough for a special one or for company.
To make this recipe you will need:
- flank steak
- freshly ground black pepper
- jarred roasted red pepper
- baby spinach
- herbed, crumbled feta cheese (omit for paleo)
- extra virgin olive oil
- fillet knife
- kitchen twine
- basting brush
I add several new posts every week – Sign Up for the Free Newsletter and Never Miss a Thing!
To begin, you will need a nice, two pound flank steak. Butterfly open your flank steak with a sharp knife. I find that a boning or fillet knife works best.
Never butterflied a flank steak? No problem! Here’s a tutorial video that I made a loooong time ago.
Once your steak is butterflied, lightly salt & pepper it.
Spread diced, jarred roasted red peppers, baby spinach and herbed feta cheese over the top of the steak, leaving about an inch of space around the edges.
You May Also Like: Grilled Skirt Steak with Chimichurri
Starting at the end, along the grain of the meat, roll the steak up like you are going to make cinnamon rolls.
Tie the roll closed with kitchen twine in 1 inch increments. Trim off the excess twine.
Brush the outside of the roll with olive oil and then salt and pepper the outside.
Heat your grill to high heat, and place your steak roll on the grates.
Cook it on one side for 2 minutes, and turn over.
You May Also Like: Maple Glazed Grilled Bacon Jalapeno Poppers
Turn the heat off on the side with the steak, and cook over indirect heat at 400 degrees for 30-40 minutes or until it registers 135 -150°F internally with a thermometer – depending on how done you like your steak.
Allow your steak to rest for 10 minutes, and then slice into beautiful medallions.
Did You Make This Recipe? I would love for you to rate it in the recipe card, and I’d love to hear your thoughts!
Stuffed Flank Steak
- 2 lb flank steak, butterflied
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper, divided
- 2/3 c jarred roasted red pepper, diced
- 1 1/2 c baby spinach
- 2/3 c feta cheese, herbed, crumbled (FOR PALEO you can omit this)
- 2 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- To begin, butterfly open your flank steak with a sharp knife.
- Once your steak is butterflied, lightly salt & pepper it with a half teaspoon of each.
- Spread the diced peppers over the top of the steak, leaving about an inch of space around the edges. Top this with the baby spinach.
- Sprinkle with the herbed, crumbled feta cheese.
- Starting at the end, along the grain of the meat, roll the steak up like you are going to make cinnamon rolls.
- Tie the roll closed with kitchen twine in 1 inch increments.
- Trim off the excess twine. Brush the outside of the roll with olive oil.
- Salt and pepper the outside.
- Heat your grill to high heat, and place your steak roll on the grates.
- Cook it on one side for 2 minutes, and turn over.
- Turn the heat off on the side with the steak, and cook over indirect heat at 400 degrees for 30-40 minutes or until it registers 135 -150 degrees internally with a thermometer – depending on how done you like your steak.
- Allow your steak to rest for 10 minutes, and then slice into beautiful medallions.
Nutritional information is auto-generated and the accuracy is not guaranteed.
This recipe was originally published in 2014, and updated in 2022.
17 thoughts on “Stuffed Flank Steak with Butterfly Tutorial”
Pinned steak pic to Steaks board at Pinterest.
WOW! Absolutely gorgeous!!
Fantastic video! Plus a great recipe too. This sounds absolutely delicious.
I did a flank steak like this before but it didn’t look nearly as beautiful as the one you presented. When are you coming over? :)
Love the video, Constance! So helpful for somebody who hasn’t done something like this before.
This is such a helpful tutorial, and the dish sounds so yummy!
This is such a great tutorial. I can’t stop gawking at that stuffed hunk of beef–so yummy!
What an amazing idea to stuff a flank steak. Love it!
This looks delicious! I love, love steak and feta cheese – I can’t wait to give it a try!
Shelia @ House of Highlands
Love all your step-by-step photos and the tutorial. That’ s so helpful for a recipe like this!
This is just gorgeous and I love the ingredients in the stuffing, too!
What a fantastic recipe – I love the stuffing in the steak!!
Beautiful presentation, so elegant, Constance!
What perfect pinwheels, Constance! And I love the filling, too!
Simply wonderful! My favorite cut is flank steak, and my mom used to stuff it. I must try your version!
Great video and recipe too. So much better than pounding out a big flank steak. And love the stuffing for the steak too.
Oh my! I love it! I love the filing and I loved that you grilled it. This is simply perfect!