These super easy, low-carb Taco Stuffed Zucchini Boats give you all the flavor of tacos but without the carbs.
Paleo, Keto and Whole 30 friendly!
During the summer, I find myself with lots and lots of fresh zucchini coming in from the garden. Many times it can be a challenge to come up with new ways to use it up. I have to say though, that this is probably my favorite meal using that abundant summer squash.
But with the ability to go to your local market, you can get fresh zucchini just about any time of the year. So even in the middle of winter, you can enjoy this healthy and delicious dish.
It all starts with hollowing them out into little boats, the salting and oven roasting the zucchini.
Cook up a meat mixture slam-packed with flavor while they bake.
You’ll have a dish that is not only really delicious and satisfying, but also quick enough for any night of the week.
Make this for your family tonight!
- 4 zucchini
- 1 tsp sea salt divided use
- 1 Tb coconut oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 can (15 oz) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (about 4 oz.) diced green chiles
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 Tb chili powder
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- To begin, preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, and set it aside for now.
- Cut the stem off of a zucchini and cut it in half the long way. Scoop out the seeds, hollowing it out into a boat shape. Try to make sure the zucchini is at least 1/2 inch thick all the way around to prevent tearing. Repeat this with all of the zucchini.
- Sprinkle the insides of the zucchini with 1/2 teaspoon of the sea salt. Place them cut side down on the lined baking sheet. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until they are tender.
- Meanwhile, saute the onion in the coconut oil until it just begins to soften. Add the ground beef, remaining 1/2 teaspoon of salt and the black pepper. Cook these together, breaking up the meat with your cooking utensil. Cook until the beef is browned and cooked through.
- Add the remaining ingredients, stir. Bring everything to a boil, reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Take the zucchini from the oven, turn them over and spoon the meat mixture into the center.
For non-paleo family members, feel free to sprinkle some shredded cheese on top.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 421Total Fat: 25gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 101mgSodium: 809mgCarbohydrates: 17gFiber: 5gSugar: 9gProtein: 35g
This data was provided and calculated by Nutritionix.
This recipe was shared in Meal Plan Monday.