You can enjoy that wonderful summer flavor all year long with this Watermelon Jelly!
To Make Watermelon Jelly You Will Need:
- food mill (or food processor and cheese cloth)
- white wine vinegar
- lemon juice
- liquid pectin
- large pot
- large spoon (for stirring)
- water bath canner or steam canner
- canning tools (ladle, funnel, etc.)
- half pint jars with lids & rings
Watch this Episode:
How to Make Watermelon Jelly
To make this jelly, you will first need watermelon juice. Remove the rind from a watermelon and cut the watermelon into pieces.
If you are using a food mill, simply put the watermelon pieces into the mill and run it through. Use the fine mesh for your mill, so that you are just getting the juice.
If you do not have a food mill, you can use a food processor blender, but you will need to remove the seeds first. Then strain it through several layers of damp cheese cloth to remove the pulp.
You will need 2 cups of watermelon juice for this recipe.
You’ll boil the juice, along with white wine vinegar, bottle lemon juice and the sugar. Then you’ll add liquid pectin.
The jelly will process in a hot water bath or steam canner for 10 minutes in half-pint jars.
- How to Substitute Powdered Pectin for Liquid Pectin
- How to Use a Steam Canner
- How to Fix Runny Jelly or Jam – Set Failure
Did you make and enjoy this recipe from Cosmopolitan Cornbread? Please rate it below and leave a comment to share your thoughts!
- 2 cups watermelon juice
- 5 c sugar
- 1/3 c white wine vinegar
- 1/4 c bottled lemon juice
- 2 pouches liquid pectin
- Combine the watermelon juice, sugar, vinegar and lemon juice in a large pot.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, stirring continually. Boil 1 minute.
- Add in the liquid pectin, and bring the liquid back to a full boil. Boil 1 minute.
- Remove it from the heat.
- Ladle the jelly into hot, half-pint jars. Leave 1/4 inch head space.
- Close with lids and rings.
- Process the jars in a hot water bath canner or steam canner for 10 minutes.
- Allow the jars to cool in a draft-free location for 12-24 hours.
- Remove the rings, test the seals and label the jars.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 111Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 9mgCarbohydrates: 29gFiber: 0gSugar: 26gProtein: 0g
Nutritional Disclaimer: Nutritional data is provided as a courtesy and estimated by a service called Nutritionix. That is a web-based nutritional calculator and is not guaranteed to be accurate. If the nutritional information is vital to you please verify it using your favorite trusted source.