These homemade biscuits are a staple in our household. You’ll soon find that they are a must-have for your family table as well.
I call these the “Winning” biscuits. Because for 18 years, I had tried various biscuit recipes, never finding THE recipe that would work. They always came out hard, dense, floury-tasting, and just plain icky! The best biscuits that were made in this household, were out of a bag from the freezer section of the store.
Sad, I know.
But I kept searching, and finally decided to play around and make some alterations, and AT LAST! Perseverance paid off.
In our house, we finally had a winner! These biscuits are crunchy on the outside, and soft on the inside, and make a regular appearance around here. And best of all, no special trips to the dairy section for buttermilk.
I add several new posts every week – Sign Up for the Free Newsletter and Never Miss a Thing!
Watch how to make these Homemade Biscuits in this Video Tutorial:
Did You Make This Recipe? I would love for you to rate it in the recipe card, and I’d love to hear your thoughts!
- 2 c all-purpose flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 Tb sugar
- 1/3 c cold butter
- 3/4 c plus 2-3 Tb whole milk
- To begin, preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In a mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt and sugar.
- Cut the butter into pieces, and drop into the flour mixture. With a pastry blender, fork or knives, cut the butter into the mixture until all of the butter pieces are smaller than a pea.
- Stir in 3/4 c of the milk, and add 2-3 Tb more as needed to just mix together the dough.
- On a floured surface, pat out the dough mixture to a smooth flat shape, about 3/4 inch thick. With a biscuit cutter or glass, cut biscuits, placing them on a baking stone/baking sheet. Form the scraps together and re-cut biscuits.
- Take the final scraps and form them into a biscuit by hand. This usually makes around 10 biscuits, depending on how you pat out the dough.
- Bake for about 10-13 minutes, or until just golden on top.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 161Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 17mgSodium: 480mgCarbohydrates: 23gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 3g
Nutritional Disclaimer: Nutritional data is provided as a courtesy and estimated by a service called Nutritionix. That is a web-based nutritional calculator and is not guaranteed to be accurate. If the nutritional information is vital to you please verify it using your favorite trusted source.