This is no ordinary chicken soup. The ingredients in this Winter Chicken Stew are so substantial, there’s barely enough room for them in the pot.
You will be kept full and warm even for an chilly winter night.
To Make this Recipe You Will Need:
- cooking oil (like coconut or extra virgin olive oil)
- diced tomatoes
- chicken broth
- tomato paste
- black pepper
- bay leaves
- boneless/skinless chicken breasts
- great northern beans or cannellini beans
- kidney beans
- Parmesan cheese
- Dutch oven
I add several new posts every week – Sign Up for the Free Newsletter and Never Miss a Thing!
Watch Me Make This Recipe:
Serve this with a little grated parmesan on top, and paired with some nice bread, and you have yourself quite a lovely dinner on a cool, crisp evening.
Did You Make This Recipe? I would love for you to rate it in the recipe card, and I’d love to hear your thoughts!
- 1 large onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 Tb extra virgin olive oil
- 28 ounces diced tomatoes
- 4 carrots
- 2 stalks celery
- 32 ounces chicken broth
- 2 Tb tomato paste
- 1 tsp basil
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 boneless/skinless chicken breasts
- 14 ounce can great northern beans
- 14 ounce can kidney beans
- 3 russet or golden potatoes
- Grated Parmesan cheese for topping
- To begin, dice up the onion, and mince the cloves of garlic.
- In a Dutch oven, heat up a tablespoon or two of extra virgin olive oil, and sauté the onion and garlic over medium-low heat until tender, and just beginning to get a little color.
- Add in the diced tomatoes. Let those cook for a few minutes over medium heat.
- Meanwhile, peel and chop the carrots, and chop the celery. Keep the pieces kind of chunky.
- Add those into the pot, along with the chicken broth.
- Stir in the tomato paste, thyme, oregano, basil, salt & pepper and bay leaves.
- Bring these up to a gentle boil, then reduce the heat to low, and nestle the boneless/skinless chicken breasts into the goodness. Take a spoon and push the meat down into the liquid.
- Cover with the lid, and simmer on low for about 40 minutes. Then remove the hot, cooked chicken to a cutting board.
- Add to the stew, cans of beans that have been rinsed and drained. Then add in the 3 chopped russet or golden potatoes (1 inch pieces.)
- Chop up or shred your chicken.
- Put it back into the pot, and stir it all together. This is going to be challenging, because your pot will be getting full! Look at all that good stuff in there!
- Continue to cook with the lid on for about 20 minutes, or until the potatoes are just done.
- Serve this with a little grated parmesan on top, and paired with some nice bread, and you have yourself quite a lovely dinner on a cool, crisp evening.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 425Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 72mgSodium: 1227mgCarbohydrates: 47gFiber: 13gSugar: 10gProtein: 40g
Nutritional Disclaimer: Nutritional data is provided as a courtesy and estimated by a service called Nutritionix. That is a web-based nutritional calculator and is not guaranteed to be accurate. If the nutritional information is vital to you please verify it using your favorite trusted source.