A rich, chunky chili paired with classic skillet cornbread for a comforting supper any evening.
To begin, mince 3 cloves of garlic, and then dice 1 sweet bell pepper (yellow, orange or red) and one large onion.
Cut up 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts into 1 inch chunks.
In a Dutch oven, heat 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil over medium heat. Add in your veggies and chicken. Cook until the veggies are tender and the chicken is opaque.
Measure out your spices: a tablespoon and a half of chili powder, a teaspoon each of cumin, cinnamon and oregano, a half teaspoon each of salt and black pepper.
When the chicken & veggies are ready, stir in the spices to coat everything Let that cook a couple minutes.
You’ll then add 2 – 14 ounce cans of tomato sauce and 2 14 ounce cans of beans – You can use all kidney beans or you can use a blend of Tri-bean, kidney, or black beans. Rinse and drain the beans.
The chicken is looking good!
Stir in the tomato sauce and beans.
Stir in 1 1/2 cup of frozen corn. Bring this to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for about 10 – 15 more minutes, until the chicken is cooked through.
This chili goes great with skillet cornbread. I normally start the cornbread right before I do the chili, that way the chili gets done right around the time the cornbread is finished baking.
Serve your chili topped with sour cream and shredded cheese, and your cornbread with a slathering of butter.
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1" chunks
- 1-2 T olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 sweet bell pepper (yellow, orange or red), diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1½ T chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp oregano
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 2 cans (16 oz. each) mixed beans or kidney beans, rinsed & drained
- 2 cans (16 oz. each) tomato sauce
- 1½ c frozen whole kernel corn
- shredded cheese & sour cream for topping
- To begin, heat the oil in a Dutch oven.
- Add the onion, pepper, garlic and chicken and cook until chicken is no longer pink, and the veggies are tender.
- Stir in the spices to coat and cook for a couple minutes.
- Stir in the beans, tomato sauce and corn.
- Bring it to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer about 10 - 15 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Serve with sour cream, shredded cheese, tortilla chips, or whatever you like.
Get the recipe for Skillet Cornbread right here.