Five Bean Chili is a meatless chili – healthy and flavorful yet hearty enough to satisfy meat lovers. In addition to being healthy, this is also a budget-friendly supper.
To begin, dice 2 carrots and a large onion and mince 6 cloves of garlic. Heat a tablespoon of coconut oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Toss the carrots, onion and garlic in and sauté until the onion is just tender.
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tb coconut oil
- 1 1/2 tsp oregano
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ancho chile powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 3 c vegetable broth
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, minced (optional)
- 1 can (15 oz.) black beans
- 1 can (15 oz.) kidney beans
- 1 can (15 oz.) Great Northern beans
- 1 can (15 oz.) garbanzo beans
- 1 can (15 oz.) pinto beans
- 2 Tb tomato paste
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 c fresh baby spinach leaves
- To begin, heat the coconut oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Toss the carrots, onion and garlic in and sauté until the onion is just tender.
- While they are cooking, measure out your seasonings - oregano, chili powder, ancho chile powder and smoked paprika.
- When your onions are just tender, mix in your seasons and cook for one minute. Pour in the vegetable broth.
- Dice the red bell pepper and if you choose, mince a jalapeno pepper as well.
- Pour all of the beans into a colander. Rinse and drain them then add them to your Dutch oven.
- Add the bell pepper and optional jalapeno pepper to the pot, along with the tomato paste, salt & pepper.
- Bring this to a boil, reduce and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the baby spinach leaves and cook for about 5 more minutes.
- Serve with your favorite cornbread or some cheddar biscuits.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 270Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 1384mgCarbohydrates: 53gFiber: 13gSugar: 18gProtein: 14g
Nutritional Disclaimer: Nutritional data is provided as a courtesy and estimated by a service called Nutritionix. That is a web-based nutritional calculator and is not guaranteed to be accurate. If the nutritional information is vital to you please verify it using your favorite trusted source.