Guava Chicken – a delicious recipe that was replicated from a meal I enjoyed on my trip to Hawaii. This is a fantastic grilled chicken recipe!
A couple of years ago, I had the agonizing honor to be a delegate from Fort Wainwright, Alaska for the Army Family Action Plan conference that was held at the headquarters for the Pacific region. And where is the headquarters? No where special…just Hawaii!!!
I mean, just look how miserable I was!
How to Make Hawaiian Guava Chicken
And your result? Perfectly cooked, gorgeous guava chicken.
You May Also Like:
- 3 limes, divided
- ½ c extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 Tb cumin
- 3 cloves garlic, grated
- 1 whole chicken, cut up
- ¼ c guava jelly
- ¼ c brown sugar
- ¼ c apple juice
- To begin, combine the juice of two of the limes in a dish with the extra virgin olive oil, salt, pepper, cumin and garlic. Whisk those together and set aside for a moment. Halve the breast of the chicken if they are very large.
- Place the chicken in a large zip-lock bag and pour in the marinade. Press out as much air as you can, and seal the bag. “Squish” the chicken around to coat it thoroughly.
- Let this marinate over night, up to 24 hours in your refrigerator.
- In a small sauce pan, combine the guava jelly, brown sugar, apple juice and the juice of the remaining lime. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Turn off the heat.
- Now grab your bag of chicken, and drain out the liquid. Pat the pieces dry with a paper towel. Light one side of your grill, and heat to high heat (between 400-500 degrees.)
- Arrange the chicken on the unlit side of the grill skin side up and cook for 40 minutes or until a meat thermometer inserted into the thickest part of a thigh reads 150 degrees.
- Now for the glaze. Once your chicken is up to temperature, brush the glaze all over. (If the glaze has thickened up too much, just heat it for a minute on the stove.
- Once you brush the chicken, cook it about 30 more minutes or until the meat thermometer reads 180 degrees in a thigh, or 170 in a breast.
- Brush additional glaze on every 10 minutes while it does that final cooking. And your result? Perfectly cooked, gorgeous guava chicken.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 461 Total Fat: 32g Saturated Fat: 6g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 24g Cholesterol: 88mg Sodium: 476mg Carbohydrates: 17g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 11g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 28g