This is the perfect dish for a cold winter night.
Everyone loves a pizza party, so why not have that flavor as part of your spread for your holiday parties? You can whip up this easy recipe ahead of time, and simply put it in your favorite slow cooker to stay warm. Serve it with a dish of shredded Parmesan and some crackers and your guests will love a little bowl or cup of this rich stew.
This is my second version of Pizza Stew. You can find another easy version HERE.
- 1 red onion, diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 lb bulk Italian sausage
- 1 can (15 oz.) tomato sauce
- 1 can (6 oz.) tomato paste
- 3 c beef broth
- 1 tsp basil
- 1 tsp marjoram
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 3 oz pepperoni slices
- 1 c sliced fresh button mushrooms
- 1 can (2 oz.) sliced black olives (drained), or ⅓ cup sliced fresh olives
- shredded Parmesan cheese
- crackers, optional
- To begin, cook the diced onion, diced green bell pepper and Italian sausage together in a Dutch oven over medium heat. As the meat cooks, break it up with your spoon.
- When the meat is browned and the onion & pepper are tender, (about 5 minutes) drain off any excess grease if necessary.
- Add in the tomato sauce, tomato paste, beef broth, basil, marjoram, oregano, black pepper and red pepper flakes. Stir these all together.
- Bring this to a gentle boil, reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add in the mushrooms, pepperoni and olives. Cook for 5 more minutes, or until the mushrooms are just tender.
- Serve the stew with shredded Parmesan (or mozzarella) cheese, and crackers.
If you are making this for little kids, you can leave out the red pepper flakes if you feel it will be too spicy for them.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 420Total Fat: 29gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 21gCholesterol: 57mgSodium: 1716mgCarbohydrates: 19gFiber: 4gSugar: 10gProtein: 22g
This data was provided and calculated by Nutritionix.