The perfect snack cake for your family – Zucchini Carrot Snack Cake, made with zucchini, carrots, golden raisins and walnuts.
This post is sponsored by American Family Insurance. All opinions are my own.
This week I’m joined by American Family Insurance to share a family favorite recipe.
I think most parents have issues getting their kids to eat veggies. So finding creative ways to sneak them in becomes an art form. One of the tricks I used when my kids were little, was to add finely shredded carrots to their peanut butter sandwiches. They had NO IDEA there were veggies in there!
My family has always enjoyed snack cakes and other little goodies. Well, this variation is packed full of zucchini, carrots and golden raisins. So they might think they’re just eating cake, but they are eating their veggies too! I’ve made additional changes to this cake as well to up the “healthy-factor;” substituting whole wheat for some of the plain flour, some of the oil with applesauce, and some of the sugar with honey. Topped with a thin layer of barely sweet frosting, this snack cake is a pleasure…and not a guilty one!
This recipe is a great way to use zucchini from your garden. Many gardeners find themselves overrun with zucchini, and why not make something fun with them?
American Family Insurance is the champion of dreams. Connecting with others through Twitter, Facebook and more to not just inspire, but to encourage the pursuit of dreams.
Connect with American Family Insurance to get tools and tips, inspiration and encouragement as you #ChooseDreams. Share your stories and join the community of dreamers.
Join American Family Insurance for more great recipes on their #ChooseDreams Pinterest board. You can also connect with them via their Website, Linkedin, Youtube, Google+, Twitter, Facebook and their Pinterest Account.
For the Cake
- 1 cup of all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup of whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 cup shredded zucchini
- 1 1/2 c shredded carrot
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup plain applesauce
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
For the Frosting
- 8 ounces Mascarpone Cheese
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 - 2 Tb milk
- To begin, preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9x13 cake pan, and set aside.
- In a bowl, combine the flours, baking powder, ground ginger, cinnamon, and sea salt. Stir those together and set aside. Trim the ends off of your washed zucchini. Do the same with a few carrots. Shred these with a grater or your food processor. You will need a cup of shredded zucchini and a cup and a half of shredded carrot. Set those aside for the time being.
- In your mixing bowl, combine the eggs, brown sugar, extra virgin olive oil, honey, plain applesauce and honey. Beat those together until smooth. Add in your flour mixture and beat until smooth.
- Fold in the zucchini and carrots, along with the golden raisins and walnuts. Spread the batter into your cake pan and bake for 25 minutes or until the cake tests done in the center with a toothpick.
- Cool the cake completely in the pan.
- For the frosting, beat the Mascarpone cheese, powdered sugar and vanilla until smooth. Mix in a tablespoon or two of milk to make it a smooth, spreading consistency. Spread the frosting across the top of the cake.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 357Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 57mgSodium: 199mgCarbohydrates: 47gFiber: 2gSugar: 32gProtein: 5g
This data was estimated and provided by Nutritionix. Accuracy not guaranteed.