This easy Cabbage Roll Soup has all of the flavor of cabbage rolls, but no leaf folding needed!
One of my favorite things to have for supper when I was a kid was Spanish rice. Cabbage rolls were something that my grandmother used to make, and I always loved that the cabbage rolls had almost the same ingredients inside them.
Making cabbage rolls can be a bit of a challenge though. You have to have just the right heads of cabbage and it can take a bit of practice. I know I have struggled myself to make cabbage rolls. I wish my grandmother was still around to share her secrets with me.
So just skip the whole process and turn it all into a soup! All of the flavor and none of the hassle.
To Make Cabbage Roll Soup you will need:
- ground beef
- green bell pepper
- red bell pepper
- tomato sauce
- black pepper
- hot paprika
- bay leaves
- beef broth
- honey (omit for keto)
- Dutch oven
I add several new posts every week – Sign Up for the Free Newsletter and Never Miss a Thing!
I like that this soup uses both red and green bell pepper.
You’ll also need half of a head of cabbage, which you will shred and set aside until later.
To begin, cook ground beef, onion and bell peppers together in a Dutch oven over medium heat until the beef is browned, about 5 minutes.
Add in beef broth, tomato sauce, along with bay leaves, honey, parsley, dill, onion powder, hot paprika, salt and pepper. Stir to combine.
Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce the heat to a medium-low and simmer for 15 minutes.
Add in the shredded cabbage and cook for 5 more minutes, or until the cabbage is tender.
Find and discard the bay leaves.
Serve the soup with a scoop of Cauliflower Rice or regular rice if you like, or simply enjoy it as it is.
Did you make and enjoy this recipe from Cosmopolitan Cornbread? Please rate it below and leave a comment to share your thoughts!
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 lb ground beef
- 4 c beef broth
- 1 can (15 oz) tomato sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 Tb honey (omit for keto)
- 1 tsp dry dill
- 1 tsp dry parsley
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp hot paprika
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 head of green cabbage, shredded
- (optional - cooked rice or cauliflower rice)
- To begin, cook the ground beef, onion and bell peppers together in a Dutch oven over medium heat until the beef is browned.
- Add in the beef broth, tomato sauce, and all of the seasonings. Stir to combine.
- Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce the heat to a medium-low and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add in the shredded cabbage and cook for 5 more minutes or until the cabbage is tender.
- Find and discard the bay leaves.
- Serve the soup with a scoop of cauliflower rice or regular rice if you like.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 284Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 68mgSodium: 964mgCarbohydrates: 15gFiber: 3gSugar: 9gProtein: 25g
Nutritional Disclaimer: Nutritional data is provided as a courtesy and estimated by a service called Nutritionix. That is a web-based nutritional calculator and is not guaranteed to be accurate. If the nutritional information is vital to you please verify it using your favorite trusted source.