There are times when the most simple of recipes is simply the best. This Creamed Turkey on biscuits is one of those very recipes. Every Thanksgiving when I make turkey, even if we aren’t expecting a big crowd, I will make the biggest turkey I can find. Really.
After the turkey is made and the feast is over, there is gobs of leftover turkey meat to be frozen in portion for future meals. This recipe is a perfect use for some of that turkey. But even if you don’t have turkey, you can make this with some leftover chicken from your next meal as well. It only takes minutes to make this, so it is perfect for any busy evening.
You’ll start off the way any good dish starts – with melted butter in your skillet.
The melted butter will give way to a simple gravy that you will add shredded cooked turkey to.
You can serve this yummy gravy on toast if you like, but I highly recommend making some of my baking soda biscuits.
This dish is rustic, yet my husband and son had seconds & thirds of it the last time I made it. Rustic & Simple. Nothing beats it.
- 2 Tb butter
- 2 Tb all-purpose flour
- 1 c milk
- 1 c chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp dry thyme
- 2 c shredded cooked turkey
- Biscuits for serving
- To begin, melt the butter in a medium skillet over medium heat.
- Add in the flour and whisk. Let this cook for just a minute until it becomes bubbly.
- Add in the milk and broth, and whisk smooth.
- Add in the salt, pepper and thyme.
- Cook and stir until this comes to a gentle boil and thickens. Stir in your shredded turkey, and cook for just another minute to heat up the meat,
- Serve over hot biscuits.
This recipe can be made with leftover chicken just as easily as leftover turkey. Make it the same way with that single substitution.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 225Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 76mgSodium: 605mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 19g
This data was estimated and provided by Nutritionix. Accuracy not guaranteed.