This creamy German potato soup is a great supper made right in your slow cooker. Simple, filling and delicious!
When we lived in Germany many years ago, my husband had been visiting with the neighbors, when the neighbor came to see me. The smell wafting from her apartment was incredible, and my hubby had tasted the source of that heavenly scent. It was this soup, and she had come to give me this German potato soup recipe.
I have altered it a little since she gave it to me, but I love the tanginess the leeks and cabbage give this soup.
To begin, dice up an onion, 2 leeks (cut then wash) and 4 carrots.
Next you’ll shred, or finely cut up 2 cups of cabbage. About 1/4 of a head.
Toss those in your crockpot.
Cut up 3 pounds of Russet potatoes. I only “sort of” peel them. Cut them into 1 inch pieces, and toss them in the crockpot as well.
Now for some seasonings. Add in 1/2 a teaspoon of Nutmeg, a teaspoon of fresh ground Black Pepper, a teaspoon of Salt, a tablespoon of Parsley, and a teaspoon of Caraway Seeds.
Stir it all together.
Pour in 4 cups of Beef Broth
And add a Bay Leaf
Put the lid on, and let this cook on low 7-8 hours.
After it has cooked, you are going to remove the bay leaf, and then take an immersion blender and give it just a couple “buzzes.” If you don’t have an immersion blender, use a potato masher, and mash a little of the contents. This gives the broth a little body.
Stir in a half cup of Sour Cream.
For the final touch, cook up a few slices of bacon, until crispy. Cut or crumble them into pieces and use the bacon to top the bowls of soup.
In this video, I took you through the process of making the German Potato Soup.
This is an easy slow cooker recipe that is filled with all sorts of great vegetables. It has almost no added fat, making it incredibly healthy as well as delicious. I also shared the tip for cleaning leeks.
- 3 lb Russet potatoes
- 4 c beef broth
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 leeks, diced and rinsed
- 4 carrots, diced
- 2 c chopped/shredded cabbage
- 1 Tb dry parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp caraway seeds
- 1 tsp fresh black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 c sour cream
- 6 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled/cut
- In a crock-pot, combine everything except the sour cream and bacon. Stir and cover. Cook on low heat in your crock-pot for 7-8 hours.
- After it has cooked, you are going to remove the bay leaf, and then take an immersion blender and give it just a couple "buzzes." If you don’t have an immersion blender, use a potato masher, and mash a little of the contents. This gives the broth a little body.
- Stir in a half cup of sour cream.
- For the final touch, cook up a few slices of bacon, until crispy. Cut or crumble them into pieces and use to top the soup.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 365 Total Fat: 8g Saturated Fat: 3g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 4g Cholesterol: 22mg Sodium: 1241mg Carbohydrates: 60g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 8g Sugar: 7g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 14g