These delicious steak sandwiches are a family favorite. Fairly quick to make, filling and absolutely soldier-approved!
To begin, slice and onion and green pepper.
Sauté these in a large skillet with a couple tablespoons of butter. I normally start with the peppers and let them get going first, because they take longer to get tender than the onions do.
Grab some cubed steaks – about 1 per sandwich. Cut the steaks into strips across the grain of the meat (if you can find it.)
Toss in your onions.
Season your steak strips with some seasoning salt – I use my All Purpose Seasoning.
Now – I don’t know what you like to “smear” on your sandwich buns, but let me suggest you make this fantastic sandwich sauce from The Unorthodox Epicure. Seriously – it is very simple to make and our family’s FAVORITE topper for beef sandwiches.
To make it, combine ½ c mayonaise, ⅓ c sharp cheddar cheese (finely shredded), 1 Tb prepared horseradish, 1 Tb stone ground mustard
1 Tb Tabasco sauce and 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper in a microwave safe bowl. Heat it for 15 seconds and stir until the cheese is melted in and all is combined. Add a few more seconds if you need to. You can also prepare this in a small saucepan and stir over medium heat until melted together.
When the pepper and onions are done, scoop them into a dish and set them aside.
Toss your steak strips into the skillet – don’t over crowd them. I normally do half at a time. Cook these on fairly high heat and let them get some good color.
When all of the steak strips are cooked, put all of the steak and the onion & peppers back into the skillet.
Add in about 1/2 cup of Worcestershire sauce and a couple tablespoons of butter.
Stir this all around and fall in love as you sneak a piece from the skillet.
Get out one of your favorite sandwich rolls (we went with soft potato rolls here) and smear on whatever spread you want – please try the one I mentioned! You’ll thank me. Put a slice of cheese on the other side, and top it with the steaming, hot steak.
Bite and sigh. Repeat.
- 1 onion
- 1 green bell pepper
- 6 Tb butter, divided
- 1 1/2 lb cubed steaks
- 1 Tb all purpose seasoning
- 1/2 c Worcestershire sauce
- Rolls, sliced cheese, mayo or sandwich sauce for serving
- For the sauce:
- ½ c mayonnaise
- ⅓ c sharp cheddar cheese, finely shredded
- 1 Tb prepared horseradish
- 1 Tb stone ground mustard
- 1 tsp Tabasco sauce
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- To begin, slice the onion and green bell pepper. In a large skillet, saute the pepper and onions until desired tenderness. (I suggest you start the peppers first, as they take longer.)
- While they cook, slice the cubed steaks into strips across the grain of the meat - about 1/2 inch wide. Season with the all purpose seasoning.
- Remove the onion and pepper to a dish. In the same skillet, cook the meat (in batches so as to not crowd it) over high heat, until it is just done and had good color on it.
- Place all of the cooked meat, onion and pepper back into the skillet.
- Stir in the Worcestershire sauce and remaining butter.
- When the butter is melted and everything is hot, prepare your bun with your toppings. (spread, cheese, etc) Place the hot meat on top of the cheese side.
- To Prepare the Sandwich Sauce:
- Combine ingredients in a microwave safe bowl. Cook in high for 15 seconds. Stir until the cheese is melted and all is combined. Add a few more seconds if you need to. You can also prepare this in a small saucepan and stir over medium heat until melted together.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 802 Total Fat: 60g Saturated Fat: 23g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 31g Cholesterol: 191mg Sodium: 1967mg Carbohydrates: 21g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 7g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 44g