These delicious steak sandwiches are a family favorite. Fairly quick to make, filling and absolutely soldier-approved!
Watch Me Make this Recipe Here:
To begin, slice and onion and green pepper.
Sauté these in a large skillet with a couple tablespoons of butter. I normally start with the peppers and let them get going first, because they take longer to get tender than the onions do.
Grab some cubed steaks – about 1 per sandwich. Cut the steaks into strips across the grain of the meat (if you can find it.)
Toss in your onions.
Season your steak strips with some seasoning salt – I use my All Purpose Seasoning.
Now – I don’t know what you like to “smear” on your sandwich buns, but let me suggest you make this fantastic sandwich sauce from The Unorthodox Epicure. Seriously – it is very simple to make and our family’s FAVORITE topper for beef sandwiches.
To make it, combine ½ c mayonaise, ⅓ c sharp cheddar cheese (finely shredded), 1 Tb prepared horseradish, 1 Tb stone ground mustard
1 Tb Tabasco sauce and 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper in a microwave safe bowl. Heat it for 15 seconds and stir until the cheese is melted in and all is combined. Add a few more seconds if you need to. You can also prepare this in a small saucepan and stir over medium heat until melted together.
When the pepper and onions are done, scoop them into a dish and set them aside.
Toss your steak strips into the skillet – don’t over crowd them. I normally do half at a time. Cook these on fairly high heat and let them get some good color.
When all of the steak strips are cooked, put all of the steak and the onion & peppers back into the skillet.
Add in about 1/2 cup of Worcestershire sauce and a couple tablespoons of butter.
Stir this all around and fall in love as you sneak a piece from the skillet.
Get out one of your favorite sandwich rolls (we went with soft potato rolls here) and smear on whatever spread you want – please try the one I mentioned! You’ll thank me. Put a slice of cheese on the other side, and top it with the steaming, hot steak.
Bite and sigh. Repeat.
Did You Make This Recipe? I would love for you to rate it in the recipe card, and I’d love to hear your thoughts!
- 1 onion
- 1 green bell pepper
- 6 Tb butter, divided
- 1 1/2 lb cubed steaks
- 1 Tb all purpose seasoning
- 1/2 c Worcestershire sauce
- Rolls, sliced cheese, mayo or sandwich sauce for serving
- For the sauce:
- ½ c mayonnaise
- ⅓ c sharp cheddar cheese, finely shredded
- 1 Tb prepared horseradish
- 1 Tb stone ground mustard
- 1 tsp Tabasco sauce
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- To begin, slice the onion and green bell pepper. In a large skillet, saute the pepper and onions until desired tenderness. (I suggest you start the peppers first, as they take longer.)
- While they cook, slice the cubed steaks into strips across the grain of the meat - about 1/2 inch wide. Season with the all purpose seasoning.
- Remove the onion and pepper to a dish. In the same skillet, cook the meat (in batches so as to not crowd it) over high heat, until it is just done and had good color on it.
- Place all of the cooked meat, onion and pepper back into the skillet.
- Stir in the Worcestershire sauce and remaining butter.
- When the butter is melted and everything is hot, prepare your bun with your toppings. (spread, cheese, etc) Place the hot meat on top of the cheese side.
To Prepare the Sandwich Sauce:
- Combine ingredients in a microwave safe bowl. Cook in high for 15 seconds. Stir until the cheese is melted and all is combined. Add a few more seconds if you need to. You can also prepare this in a small saucepan and stir over medium heat until melted together.
Nutritional information is auto-generated and the accuracy is not guaranteed.