There’s nothing like a good, juicy bratwurst, and you don’t need a grill to be able to enjoy them.
When we lived in Germany, we lived in two different cities in the years we were there. We lived several floors off the ground and dragging a grill out of storage, all the way out to the courtyard, then carrying the food up and down, dragging the grill back to storage….well you get the picture. So how do you enjoy a good bratwurst when grilling isn’t an option? Easy! You pan-fry them. Here’s how I do it.
To begin, I thinly slice a small onion. Toss that in a large skillet with a tablespoon of butter and cook on medium low heat until the onions begin to get tender.
Add in your bratwurst.
If you happen to have a son like mine who:
- Was born in Germany
- Is half German
- Hates bratwurst
- Clearly something wrong happened in his genetic printing…
Then toss in a couple hot dogs as well for that freak of nature. Add in another tablespoon of butter as well.
Cook these over medium heat until beautifully browned, turning several times while they cook. This takes about 8-10 minutes.
Again, if you have a son like mine, remove the hot dogs to a serving plate before doing the next step…because said freak of nature also hates sauerkraut. I’m telling you, something is wrong with him.
Add in a container of your favorite kraut. Stir it in and let it soak up all the juices from the pan. Cook until hot, about 4-5 minutes.
Serve these beauties on a bun with a smear of your favorite mustard…I’m partial to Dusseldorf mustard myself.
- 1 package bratwurst - Look for good quality German style ones
- 1 small onion
- 2 Tb butter, divided
- 1 container (can or jar) sauerkraut
- To begin, thinly slice the small onion. Toss that in a large skillet with a tablespoon of butter and cook on medium low heat until the onions begin to get tender.
- Toss in the bratwurst along with the second tablespoon of butter
- Cook these over medium heat until beautifully browned, turning several times while they cook. This takes about 8-10 minutes.
- Add in the container of your favorite kraut. Stir it in and let it soak up all the juices from the pan. Cook until hot, about 4-5 minutes.
- Serve these beauties on a bun with a smear of your favorite mustard…I’m partial to Dusseldorf mustard myself.
All American Burgers & Dogs
- BLT Burgers by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Bourbon BBQ Bacon Burgers by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Copycat Guberburgers by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Pimento Cheese Burger by Magnolia Days
- Southern Seasoned Beef Burger by April Go Lightly
- The Best Ever Bacon, Egg and Cheese Burger by The Chef Next Door
- The SmashBurger by Monica’s Table
- Whiskey Burgers by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Whiskey Cheddar Burger by From Gate to Plate
- Bourbon Onion Bacon Dogs by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Chicago Style Hot Dog by The Culinary Compass
- Michigan Hot Dog by Bottom Left of the Mitten
- Perfect Corn Dogs by My World Simplified
- Philly Cheesesteak Dog by Palatable Pastime
- Chicken Parmesan Burgers by A Mind “Full” Mom
- Miso Glazed Chicken Burgers by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Chicken Tikka Burgers by Sunday Supper Movement
- Chicken Sate Burger with Peanut Sauce by Baking Sense
- Chicken Cordon Bleu Burgers by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
Worldly Burgers & Dogs
- Blue Cheese & Fig Burgers by Garden Matter
- Caprese Burgers with Balsamic Sauce by The Redhead Baker
- Cheddar Stuffed Taco Burger by My Life Cookbook
- Dominican Chimichurri Burgers by The Crumby Cupcake
- Guacamole Cilantro Lime Cheeseburger by Life Tastes Good
- Meatball Parmesan Burgers by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Smoky Sliders with Chipotle Mayo by Cooking on the Ranch
- Portuguese Hamburger by Family Foodie
- Puka Dogs by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Spicy Terimayo Dog by Brunch-n-Bites
- Hot Dog Maki Roll by kimchi MOM
- Salchipapas (Peruvian Hot Dogs with French Fries) by Tara’s Multicultural Table
Where’s the Beef Burgers
- Fish Taco Burgers by Pies and Plots
- Brown Rice & Lamb Burgers with Spinach by Wholistic Woman
- Greek Lamb Burgers with Blistered Tomatoes and Tzatziki Spread by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Miso Tuna Burgers by Caroline’s Cooking
- The Perfect Lentil Burger by Food Lust People Love
- Baby Back Rib Burger by The Freshman Cook
- California Dreaming Shrimp Burgers by The Weekend Gourmet
Where’s the Bun Burger
- Bacon Cheeseburger Dip by Love and Confections
- Cheeseburger Salad by Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- California Burger Bowl by Simple and Savory
- Dessert Hamburgers and Fries by Gluten Free Crumbley
- How to Pan-fry Bratwurst by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- How to make Salmon Burgers with Mango Salsa by Asian In America
- The Ultimate #SundaySupper Hamburger and Hotdog Wine Pairing Guide by ENOFYLZ Wine Blog
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
Reply To: 7-24-16 Hamburgers and Hotdogs Preview HTML Code