There’s something to be said about old-fashioned recipes like this Amish Ham Salad. And there’s a reason they have been around so long. They are delicious in their classic simplicity.
This salad starts with a simple, simmered dressing with egg, milk, vinegar and such.
Then some cooked, diced ham. You can get some from the deli or this is a great use of leftover holiday ham!
A nice bunch of hard-cooked eggs finishes this salad off.
Enjoy the Amish Ham Salad on a bun or wrapped in lettuce leaves.
- 1 egg, beaten
- ½ c milk (for paleo, use your favorite nut milk)
- 2 tsp flour
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp mustard
- 2 Tb sugar (for paleo, substitute raw honey)
- ⅓ c white vinegar
- 2 c diced cooked ham
- 9 hard cooked eggs, diced
- To begin, beat the egg and milk together in a dish. Add in the flour, salt, pepper and mustard and whisk until smooth. Set that aside for just a moment.
- Cook the sugar and vinegar in a sauce pan until they begin to boil. Add in the egg mixture and whisk continually until it is smooth and thick. Remove it from the heat to cool for a few minutes.
- Place the diced hard-cooked eggs and diced ham in a mixing bowl.
- Pour dressing over the top and fold it together until combined.
- Serve immediately or chilled on rolls or lettuce leaves.
I’ve included paleo substitutions in the recipe. This would be wonderful served inside lettuce wraps!
Check out all of the wonderful winter salads recipes to liven up your cold weather menus:
- Arugula, Butternut & White Bean Salad with Maple Vinaigrette from Pook’s Pantry
- Arugula Salad with Maple Vinaigrette from Cooking Chat
- Beet Terrine from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Blood Orange, Beet, and Apple Salad with Goat Cheese and Citrus Honey Vinaigrette from Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Blue Cheese and Pear Salad from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Breakfast Salad from Our Good Life
- Brussels Sprouts Salad with White Bean Dressing and Pecan Crisps from Beauty and the Beets
- Chopped Salad with Roasted Root Vegetables and Bacon from MyGourmetConnection
- Citrus Salad from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Cobb Salad from Palatable Pastime
- Colorful Veggie Filled Quinoa with a Ginger-Lemon Dressing from Positively Stacy
- Crunchy Beet & Arugula Salad from The Crumby Cupcake
- Escarole and Roasted Broccoli Salad with Anchovy Dressing from The Texan New Yorker
- Farro Salad with Roasted Squash, Radicchio and Lemon-Tahini Dressing from Caroline’s Cooking
- Grilled Chicken Salad from Real Food Real Deals
- Kale Salad with Lemony Tahini Dressing from My Life Cookbook
- Lemony Couscous Lentil Salad from Magnolia Days
- Low-Carb Spinach Breakfast Salad from Life Tastes Good
- Mandarin Tossed Salad from Meal Planning Magic
- Orange and Walnut Baby Spinach Salad w/ Quinoa and Citrus Vinaigrette from The Freshman Cook
- Quinoa Salad with Apples, Pecans and Dried Cranberries from The Chef Next Door
- Radicchio Pear Walnut Salad from The Bitter Side of Sweet
- Roasted Butternut Squash Pearl Couscous Salad from Mysavoryspoon
- Roasted Savoy Cabbage Slaw with Spicy Bacon Dressing from Food Lust People Love
- Shredded Beet Salad from Wholistic Woman
- Simple Spinach Cobb Salad With Lardons from And She Cooks
- Spinach Citrus Salad with Grapefruit Vinaigrette from From Gate to Plate
- Warm Cabbage Salad with Bacon and Goat Cheese from Nik Snacks
- Warm Cauliflower Spinach Salad with Pancetta from Taste and See
- Warm Potato and Broccoli Buffalo Salad from Sweet Mornings
- Warm Potato Salad with Arugula, Bacon and Brown Butter from Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Warm Steak Tomato and Mozzarella Salad from Family Foodie
- Wilted Lettuce Salad from Confessions of a Cooking Diva
- Winter BLT Panzanella Salad from Hardly a Goddess
- Winter Citrus and Endive Salad from An Appealing Plan
- Winter Fruit Salad from Pies and Plots
- Winter Kale and Wild Rice Salad from Moore or Less Cooking
- Winter Salad with Blood Orange Vinaigrette from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Winter Salad with Fennel, Apple, Goat Cheese and Radishes from Delaware Girl Eats
- Winter Squash Quinoa Salad from Kitchen Gidget