Cheddar Ham Chowder is a cheesy, creamy chowder filled with veggies and potatoes. We have this every time I make a ham. Every. Single. Time.
When I say that I make this soup every time I make my baked ham, I’m not kidding. My whole family knows that when we have a big ham, that there are two things that are going to happen.
One is my Scalloped Potatoes and Ham. The other is this creamy soup.
This soup is quite simple to make, and takes advantage of a package of frozen mixed vegetables to make it even easier.
While the vegetables and potatoes cook, you make a thick, creamy sauce that you melted the cheese in. As soon as the vegetables are cooked, you add in that sauce and diced ham, and just like magic, you have a rich, creamy soup that everyone will love.
Cheddar Ham Chowder isn’t just something that I’ll make with leftover ham. We’ll enjoy this thick soup all winter long with some diced ham from the store.
Either way, this soup will warm you up on a cold day. You’ll find out quickly why this is one of our family’s favorite soups.
Did you make and enjoy this recipe or any other recipe on Cosmopolitan Cornbread? Please rate it below and leave a comment to share your thoughts! I would also love for you to share it on Instagram and tag @CosmopolitanCornbread
- 3 cups red or yellow potatoes
- 16 oz frozen mixed vegetables
- 4 cups water
- 1/4 c butter
- 1 1/2 - 2 cups diced cooked ham (leftovers are ideal)
- 1 small onion
- 1/4 c flour
- 1 1/2 c milk
- 2 c grated sharp or extra sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp thyme
- Extra shredded cheese for topping
- To begin, cut up the potatoes into 1 inch pieces.
- Toss the potatoes into a Dutch oven along with the frozen mixed veggies.
- Add about 4 cups of water – just enough to cover the veggies.
- Bring the contents to a boil, reduce the heat and cook on medium heat until the veggies are just done.
- While the veggies are cooking, in a small sauce pan, melt the butter.
- While it is melting, finely dice a small onion, and dice up about 1 1/2 – 2 cups of your leftover ham.
- When the butter is melted, toss in the onion. Let it cook in the butter for a couple minutes, until it is tender.
- Stir in the flour. Cook for just a minute.
- Whisk in the milk. Cook it over medium heat, stirring continually until it comes to a boil. Reduce the heat as low as it goes.
- Stir in the shredded cheddar cheese. Stir until the cheese is melted and then pour it into the Dutch oven with the cooked veggies.
- Stir in your cooked, diced ham, the salt, pepper and thyme.
- Cook for a few more minutes until the ham is heated through. Serve with some extra shredded cheese on top.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 672 Total Fat: 40g Saturated Fat: 22g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 12g Cholesterol: 148mg Sodium: 1694mg Carbohydrates: 38g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 6g Sugar: 5g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 41g
This recipe was shared in Meal Plan Monday.