Ham and corn chowder is a creamy and delicious soup for a cool spring evening.
This time of year many people are baking hams and this Ham and Corn Chowder is a great way to use up some of the leftovers.
To begin, dice a cup of red onion, mince two cloves of garlic and dice 4 slices of bacon into pieces.
In a Dutch oven, saute the bacon and onion with a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil until the bacon is golden and the onions are tender.
Toss in the garlic and let it cook for just a minute.
Sprinkle in 1/4 cup of all purpose flour. Stir it all in and cook for a minute.
Pour in 2 cups of milk and 3 cups of chicken broth. Bring this to a boil, stirring occasionally.
Add in 5 diced yellow or red potatoes.
2 cups of diced ham
And 3 1/2 cups of frozen whole kernel corn.
Finally, add in 2 teaspoons of “Herbs de Province,” 1/2 teaspoon each of salt and pepper, a bay leaf and 4 ounces of cream cheese.
REduce the heat to medium and let this cook together for 20-25 minutes or until the potatoes are cooked through. Discard the bay leaf and serve.
- 1 c red onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 slices bacon, diced
- 1 Tb extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 c all-purpose flour
- 2 c milk
- 3 c chicken broth
- 5 yellow (or red) potatoes, cut into 3/4 inch cubes
- 2 c ham, diced
- 3 1/2 c frozen whole kernel corn
- 2 tsp herbs de Province (herb blend)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 oz. cream cheese
- To begin, in a Dutch oven, saute the bacon and onion with the extra virgin olive oil until the bacon is golden and the onions are tender.
- Toss in the mined garlic and let it cook for just a minute.
- Sprinkle in the all purpose flour. Stir it all in and cook for a minute.
- Pour in the milk and chicken broth. Bring this to a gentle boil, stirring occasionally.
- Add in all of the remaining ingredients.
- Let this cook together on medium heat for 20-25 minutes or until the potatoes are cooked through. Discard the bay leaf and serve.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 222Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 48mgSodium: 994mgCarbohydrates: 15gFiber: 1gSugar: 4gProtein: 15g
This data was estimated and provided by Nutritionix. Accuracy not guaranteed.