Smoked paprika and bacon lend a beautiful flavorfulness to this thick and rich (Paleo) Smokey Bacon Chili.
A chili like this is the perfect one to make if you have family members who do not want to eat according to the paleo guidelines. You can make a batch of this chili and once it is finished, ladle your serving into a bowl and set it aside. Then you can simply add in a can of rinsed and drained kidney or black beans and simmer the chili until it is heated through. That gives you the amazing chili that you will love and also give your family the “beany” chili they are accustomed to. It’s a “win-win!”
Though I must say, once they get a bite of this chili, they are going to realize that they aren’t missing out on anything at all. This chili has flavor to spare.
- 6 slices thick cut bacon, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 lb ground beef or bison
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tb chili powder
- 1 Tb smoked paprika
- 2 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 can (14 oz) tomato sauce
- 1 can (14 oz) diced tomatoes
- sea salt to taste, if needed
- In a Dutch oven, saute the bacon over medium heat until golden. Spoon it out into a dish, leaving the drippings in the pot.
- Add in the ground beef, onion and peppers. Cook for 2 minutes, breaking up the beef with your spoon as it cooks.
- Add in the garlic, and continue to cook until the meat is browned
- Add in the seasonings, stir and let it cook for just a minute
- Add in the remaining ingredients
- Bring everything to a boil, reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Stir occasionally.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 529Total Fat: 31gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 137mgSodium: 1268mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 5gSugar: 9gProtein: 46g
This data was provided and calculated by Nutritionix.